Akron General Hospitals have established a Hospital Charity/Financial Assistance Program for patients who are uninsured. Services covered under this program include services provided at Akron General Medical Center, Lodi Community Hospital, Edwin Shaw Rehabilitation and their associated hospital outpatient facilities. Please note the policy covers hospital services only.
Discounts are provided on hospital bills for patients who do not have health insurance and who meet certain eligibility criteria. The amount of the discount is determined after a review and assessment of the patient’s or family’s financial need and is based on current Federal Poverty Guidelines (see chart below). In addition, for qualifying patients, we can establish interest-free payment plans extending up to three years for discounted account balances. Patients may apply for Akron General Hospitals’ Financial Assistance at any time before, during or up to two years after their care.
Patients must meet several qualifications to be eligible for Akron General Hospitals’ Charity/Financial Assistance Program. Criteria includes:
- The care being discounted must be medically necessary (non-elective) and a service that the Ohio Medicaid program would cover.
- Patients must attest that they are uninsured and do not qualify for any third-party payment programs or for any health savings or medical savings account.
- Patients must agree to and provide adequate information to allow Akron General Hospitals to apply on their behalf for third-party payment programs, if applicable.
- Patients must agree to provide financial information that can be used to determine their income.
- Patients must be at or below 400 percent of current Federal Poverty Guidelines.
Note: For patients whose income is at or below (0 to 100 percent of) the Federal Poverty Guidelines (FPG), Akron General Hospitals participate in Ohio’s Hospital Care Assurance Program (HCAP). Through HCAP, Akron General Hospitals provides basic, medically necessary hospital services free of charge to Ohio residents. Federal Poverty Guidelines are available from the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services at its website: aspe.hhs.gov/poverty.
|Annual Family Income
||Amount of Discount |
|< 200% FPG
|201% - 250% FPG
|251% - 400% FPG
Financial counselors are available to assist patients. They can:
- Provide financial counseling
- Assist patients in applying and qualifying for federal, state and local financial assistance programs, including HCAP
- Assist patients in qualifying for the Akron General Hospitals’ Charity Financial Assistance Program and completing the application
- Arrange discounts for uninsured patients
- Establish interest-free payment plans
For a complete copy of Akron General Hospitals' Charity/Financial Assistance Program, or Hospital Care Assurance Program (HCAP) Guidelines or to obtain an application for either program, please call our Financial Counselors at 330-344-6924 or 800-221-6195. Or, download the application form (PDF).