Akron General selects all residents from the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) and the American Urological Association (AUA)*. All applicants should apply for residency through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). International Medical Graduates may apply through ERAS via the ECFMG.
AGMC’s General Surgery Residency Program reserves two (2) Surg-Prelim/Urology positions through the NRMP match for the Urology candidates to complete the PGY-1 year. Information for the NRMP rank list is provided by the Urology program to the AUA matched candidates and the General Surgery program. Although the recruitment process differs, the Urology program is required to adhere to the same restrictions established in the recruitment policies established by Graduate Medical Education.
Candidates for Admission to AGMC’s residency programs should have the following qualifications to be eligible for appointment:
A complete application includes the following:
- Completed ERAS application
- Transcript from medical school
- Curriculum Vitae
- Dean’s Letter/MSPE
- USMLE or COMLEX Board Scores for Step I and Step II CK & CS
- Three letters of recommendation
- Personal Statement
- Additional requirements for International Medical Graduate (IMG) applicants requiring visa sponsorship:
*Must have ECFMG certificate by the NRMP Rank Order List Deadline unless you are graduating the same year you are applying for residency.
- H1-B Visa’s sponsored. Must have passing Step III score by NRMP Rank Order List Deadline.
- J-1 Visa's sponsored.
- Minimum Board Score Requirements:
- USMLE 1&2: Minimum 1st pass rate or Satisfactory Scores
- IMG's requiring H-1B visa sponsorship: USMLE III: Minimum 1st pass rate or Satisfactory Scores.
- COMLEX 1&2: Minimum 1st pass rate or Satisfactory Scores
- Maximum of five (5) years graduation from Medical School.
All applications for all programs are processed through ERAS. PAPER APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.
NRMP Website: http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/yearly.html
*Individual Programs may have additional requirements.