Coughing and deep breathing will
help prevent pneumonia, decrease pain, improve the
oxygen in your blood and remove the anesthetic from
your body. You will be asked to take three or four
deep breaths followed by one deep cough, 10 times
every hour. Deep breathing and coughing can be accomplished
in a sitting or lying position.
- Breathe out normally.
- Clasp your hands over your
- Breathe in until you feel your
abdomen push out.
- Breathe out slowly.
- Rest a few seconds.
- Repeat three to four times
then cough 1-2 times.
- Relax and breathe normally.
- Repeat technique 10 times
Date Updated: 01-JAN-2005