have the right to:
- Considerate and respectful
- Receive current and understandable
information concerning diagnosis, treatment and
prognosis from doctors and other caregivers.
- Make decisions about their
plans of care and courses of treatment. The patient
may refuse treatment to the extent permitted by
law and hospital policy, and have the right to
be informed of medical consequences.
- Receive necessary information
from their doctors to give informed consent prior
to the start of any procedure or treatment.
- Advance Directives concerning
treatment and can expect that the hospital will
honor those directives to the extent permitted
by law and hospital policy.
- Have their pain believed, assessed
- Every consideration of privacy
concerning medical care in a safe setting.
- Expect that all communications
and records pertaining to their care will be treated
as confidential, except in cases of suspected
abuse or public health hazards when reporting
is required by law.
- Access their own medical records,
according to hospital policy, except when restricted
- Expect the hospital to make
reasonable responses to their requests for appropriate
and medically indicated care.
- Ask about and to be informed
of business relationships that may influence treatment
- Consent to or decline to participate
in research studies or human experimentation affecting
care and treatment and to have those studies fully
explained prior to consent.
- Expect reasonable continuity
of care and to be informed of available options
when hospital care is no longer appropriate.
- Expect that your healthcare
information will be handled in a manner consistent
with Akron General's privacy practices as set
forth in the Notice of Privacy Practices.
- Know what hospital rules and
regulations apply to patient conduct.
- Request a consult to the Ethics
Committee and to participate in discussions of
ethical issues regarding patient care.
- Access protective services.
- Receive explanation of bills,
regardless of sources of payment, and information
on financial assistance.
Patients who believe their
rights have been violated can discuss their concerns
with their attending doctors, registered nurses
or patient representatives.
As a patient at Akron General
Medical Center, we ask for your cooperation with
- Provide information about past
illness, hospitalization, medications and other
matters related to health status.
- Inform care providers whether
explanation of diagnosis, treatment and care options
have been understood.
- Follow the recommendations
and advice prescribed by healthcare providers
and to provide information about unexpected complications
- Accept the outcomes if they
do not follow the care, service or treatment plan.
- Provide complete and accurate
information about insurance and their ability
to meet any self-pay balance.
- Be considerate and to respect
the rights and property of the other patients,
visitors and healthcare staff.
Date Updated: 01-JAN-2005