Northeast Ohio College of Medicine
ELECTIVE: Consultation Liaison Psychiatry
Site: Akron General Medical Center/Summa Health System
Duration: 4 Weeks
Number of Students: 1
Dustin Blakeslee, DO - Akron General Medical Center
Todd Ivan, MD - Summa Health System
1. To provide students with opportunities to participate in psychiatric consultation to medical/surgical patients as part of the consultation/liaison psychiatry service in both major teaching hospitals
2. Students will learn to identify and manage psychiatric conditions arising in patients hospitalized for medical/surgical reasons.
3. Students will be exposed to excellent learning opportunities at the interface of medicine and mental health.
1. Students will participate as a member of the consultation/liaison service which includes faculty, residents, and other medical students.
2. There will be opportunites for individual responsibility in management of patients seen in consultation.
3. Students will gain valuable experience in the diagnosis and management of delirium, evaluation of the suicidal patient, supportive psychotherapy for those with serious illnesses, and direction of the multi-disciplinary team in delivering care to patients with severe mental disabilities.
NIGHT CALL REQUIREMENT: none
1. Dustin Blakeslee, DO
2. Todd Ivan, MD
Date Updated: 19-DEC-2012