For Release: March 29, 2012
Jim Gosky 330.344.6083, email@example.com
Amy Kilgore 330.344.6014, firstname.lastname@example.org
Looking for fresh, locally grown produce for your summer weekend cookout or a local, homemade gift for a friend? Starting June 19 and running through September 18, Akron General is once again offering its popular Farmers Market every Tuesday from 3-6 p.m. at the Akron General Health & Wellness Center-West, 4125 Medina Rd. West Akron. The market will feature fresh, high-quality produce, honey, herbs, baked goods, plants and flowers from Ohio-based farms and businesses.
Summer marks the peak of freshness for fruits and vegetables, and nothing is better this time of year than a fresh salad, salsa or grilled ears of corn. Eating local food is a delicious and healthy way to support the environment and the local economy. Did you know, before reaching your table, the average food item in the United States will travel 1,300 miles? In fact, only about 10 percent of the fossil fuel energy used in the world’s food system is used for production. The other 90 percent goes into packaging, transportation, and marketing of the food.
Healthy shopping can be fun, too. Try to shop by color and purchase a rainbow of color. Since the produce is picked at the peak of the season and doesn’t travel far, nutrients, and phytochemicals will be more abundant. Talk to the farmers and ask them about cooking and preparation tips. Involve your children; give them a couple bucks to buy what they want. They may surprise you and pick out items you wouldn’t think they would normally eat.
Bring your reusable shopping bags and start buying healthy!
About Akron General Health System
Akron General Health System is a not-for-profit healthcare organization with the mission of improving the health and lives of the people and communities we serve. Akron General Health System includes: Akron General Medical Center, a 511-bed teaching and research medical center, and Edwin Shaw Rehabilitation Institute, the area's largest provider of rehabilitation services; Akron General Partners, which includes Partners Physician Group, the Akron General Health & Wellness Centers, Lodi Community Hospital, Community Health Centers and other companies; Akron General Community Health Ventures, which includes Visiting Nurse Service and Affiliates, the largest and most comprehensive provider of home healthcare services in Ohio; and Akron General Development Foundation. Akron General has earned the prestigious National Research Corporation (NRC) Consumer Choice Award for 14 out of 16 years. Recently, Becker’s Hospital Review named Akron General Medical Center one of the nation’s top 100 hospitals. For more information about Akron General Health System, visit About Us.