For Release: November 1, 2012|
Jim Gosky 330.344.6083, email@example.com
Amy Kilgore 330.344.6014, firstname.lastname@example.org
AKRON, Ohio (Nov. 1, 2012) – "Health care will be rationed by lack of capacity and payments that do not cover costs," says Thomas L. "Tim" Stover, MD, MBA, president and CEO, Akron General Health System. "We can’t expand service for less pay and break even."
Dr. Tim Stover: Available for press interviews – expert on the well-care health care model
What is Akron General’s well-care health care model? A dramatic departure from traditional health care (sick care) that focuses on prevention, wellness, physical exercise and a continuity of care not seen elsewhere. Akron General is a health system trying to keep people OUT of the hospital.
Nation’s first-of-its-type comprehensive health and wellness campus
- Health care professionals around the country and beyond seek Akron General's advice
- Akron General, headquartered in Akron, Ohio, began adopting well care nearly 20 years ago
- Integrated Wellness Partners – Akron General, national joint venture, well-care expertise
- For health systems, universities, businesses and municipalities around the world
- Integrates "sick" care with wellness, prevention and outpatient care
Be Well program: for Akron General's 5,000+ employees, but could be a marketable solution
- Continuity of care – full range of diagnostic, treatment, rehabilitation and wellness services
- Radiology, labs, 24/7 emergency department, sports medicine, cardiology, pulmonary, physical therapy, sleep center, surgery center
- Now three health and wellness suburban campuses: West Akron, Stow and Green, Ohio
- LifeStyles, on each campus: Oversight by a medical advisory board; medically supervised exercise, nutrition and membership program
- Physical activity, chronic disease management, health education
- Press widely recognize as the top U.S. hospital-owned or medically based center
- Prevention and wellness: teaching exercise and healthy habits as medicine
- Wellness lifestyle: helps avoid chronic illnesses, saves pain and suffering, reduces costs, improves quality of life
"We can’t treat patients at below cost, but we can't have a national system that leaves millions uninsured or lacks capacity to treat millions under federal health care reform," Dr. Stover says.
- For living healthier, saving money and earning savings on medical insurance premiums
Akron General is still committed to caring for the sick and has invested millions of dollars in the latest treatment options
- Health care debate – treating the sick, not helping people stay healthy
- Dr. Stover: "Current U.S. system rewards hospitalization, not personal responsibility for wellness"
- 75+ percent of health care spending is for chronic illness
- Reimbursement conundrum: 10 outpatient visits = one typical inpatient stay
- We now have the first generation of children (because of obesity issues) who are not expected to outlive their parents' generation
- One of nation's only medical centers with comprehensive Neuroscience Institute, including iMRI and iCT surgical options
- Becker's Hospital Review: one of nation's top 100 hospitals
- Ranked nationally by U.S. News & World Report for ENT (ear, nose and throat) Care and named "High Performing" in 10 clinical areas
For more on Akron General Well Care: akrongeneral.org/thinkwellness
About Akron General Health System
Akron General Health System is a not-for-profit health-care organization with the mission of improving the health and lives of the people and communities we serve. Akron General Health System includes Akron General Medical Center, a 511-bed teaching and research medical center, and Edwin Shaw Rehabilitation Institute, the area's largest provider of rehabilitation services; Akron General Partners, which includes Partners Physician Group, the Akron General Health & Wellness Centers, Lodi Community Hospital, Community Health Centers and other companies; Akron General Community Health Ventures, which includes Visiting Nurse Service and Affiliates, the largest and most comprehensive provider of home health-care services in Ohio; and Akron General Development Foundation.
Akron General is ranked nationally by U.S. News & World Report for ENT Care and named "High Performing" in 10 clinical areas. Becker's Hospital Review named Akron General Medical Center one of the nation’s top 100 hospitals. Akron General was named Best Employer for 10 consecutive years by Employers Resource Council. For more information about Akron General Health System, visit About Us on the Akron General website, akrongeneral.org.