For release: November 14, 2013|
Amy Kilgore 330.344.6014, KilgorA@ccf.org
Kelly Ward-Smith 330.344.1681, WardSmK@ccf.org
Preventive measures are so important when it comes to better managing your health. Akron General is partnering with Healthy Life Screenings to offer preventive cardiovascular screenings to the community. These safe, painless, non-invasive, ultrasound screenings help identify cardiovascular risks and prevent heart disease, stroke and aneurysms. Their value is proven in detecting previously unrecognized problems in individuals presumed to be healthy. The following screenings will be performed:
- Left Ventricle Echocardiogram of the Heart (Ultrasound) - Screens for the strength of the heart by measuring the volume of the blood flow. LV dysfunction can lead to sudden cardiac death.
- Abdominal Aortic Ultrasound - Measures the aorta for the detection of enlargements/aneurysms.
- Carotid Artery Ultrasound / Intima-Media Thickness (IMT) Assessment - Screens for plaque and the flow of blood through the arteries. Severe build up can lead to stroke. (IMT measured when needed.)
- Ankle Brachial Index / Peripheral Artery Assessment - Screens for Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD), a major indicator or risk factor for stroke and heart disease.
- Blood Pressure - Evaluation of cardiovascular risk measured in combination with results from tests above.
- Cholesterol (additional cost)
Appointments are available between 8 a.m.- 4 p.m. on Saturday, November 23 at Akron General Health & Wellness – West, 4125 Medina Rd., Montrose; Saturday, December 7 at Akron General Health & Wellness – Green, 1940 Town Park Blvd., Uniontown; or Saturday, December 14 at Akron General Health & Wellness – North, 4300 Allen Rd., Stow.
All five screenings are available for a total cost of $199. (Cash, personal check, Visa, Mastercard and Discover are accepted.) Cholesterol tests are available for an additional $25. This is special pricing, similiar tests may cost over $3,000 if done in a hospital.
Appointments are required. To make an appointment, or for more information, please call Healthy Life Screenings at 1-866-523-LIFE (5433).
About Akron General Health System
Akron General Health System is a not-for-profit health care organization with the mission of improving the health and lives of the people and communities it serves. Akron General Health System includes: Akron General Medical Center, a 532-registered-bed teaching and research medical center, and Edwin Shaw Rehabilitation Institute, the area’s largest provider of rehabilitation services; Akron General Partners, which includes Partners Physician Group, the Akron General Health & Wellness Centers, Lodi Community Hospital, Community Health Centers and other companies; Akron General Community Health Ventures, which includes Visiting Nurse Service and Affiliates; and Akron General Foundation. Recently, U.S. News & World Report ranked Akron General Medical Center as the fifth best hospital in Ohio. In 2013, the American Nurses Association bestowed the prestigious “Magnet” status on the more that 1,000 nurses from Akron General Medical Center, Edwin Shaw Rehabilitation Institute and the Health System’s Health & Wellness Centers. For more information about Akron General Health System, visit www.akrongeneral.org.